Mayank Shah, Founder & CEO of MSDUK reviews 2017 and looks ahead to 2018…
On behalf of the Board of Directors and the MSDUK team, we extend warm festive greetings and wish you all an extremely successful and happy 2018! I am sure you will take time off during Christmas to relax and celebrate with family and friends!
As we approach the end of a hugely eventful 2017, I would like to take some of your time to reflect on what has been an exciting year and on the progress we have made in promoting supplier diversity within corporate supply chains and supporting the growth and success of our business community. To me, supplier diversity drives down socio-economic inequality, encourages entrepreneurship and creates wealth in under-represented groups of our society. Supplier diversity also brings innovation and a diversity of ideas into corporate supply chains, making them more sustainable and competitive. And we thank you all – our corporate and business partners for making this happen and continuing to support our growth.
2017 was another landmark year in our 11 year journey. We not only continued to increase our corporate and ethnic minority business network, but also extended our reach and influence into Europe. Highlights of 2017 include:
- Launch of the ‘Innovation Challenge’– a business competition for entrepreneurs to showcase their innovative ideas, concepts and products
- Organised the first ever ‘ Business Show’ at Edgbaston Cricket Ground, Birmingham in September
- We announced our arrival in mainland Europe by delivering a hugely successful ‘ European Supplier Diversity Conference’ in Berlin in November
- Seven ethnic minority owned businesses were awarded scholarships to attend a week-long entrepreneurial retreat at the Ivy League Tuck Business School, Dartmouth, USA.
- Over 20 new contracts awarded to 17 businesses while the regular year-on-year spend with existing suppliers continued to grow – estimated annual business transacted is £15m.
With the maturity of our network, the year 2018 will see us embarking on an exciting third phase of our growth; we call it MSDUK 3.0 – a period of bigger reach, impact and influence.
MSDUK 3.0 will:
- Offer migrant/ ethnic minority entrepreneurs a full ecosystem to start, establish and thrive in business, and
- Provide purchasing organisations access to innovative migrant/ethnic entrepreneurs, industry best practice and knowledge to make procurement more inclusive
We will be launching an ‘Innovation Hub & Knowledge Hub’ to complement the existing work around inclusive procurement, providing both our corporate and ethnic minority/ migrant entrepreneurs an integrated ecosystem to succeed.
And that is not all we have lined up for 2018! We have more to offer including:
- MSDUK 2018 Conference & Awards being held in Birmingham between 24-26th Sept 2018
- The first event Tuck Minority Business Programme will be delivered in the UK in partnership with Aston Business School between 22-24th Sept 2018 allowing 30 entrepreneurs from the UK, South Africa, Australia and the USA participate in this uniquely global retreat
- Official launch of MSD-DE (Germany) to provide our corporate member’s access to migrant entrepreneurs across Germany.
- And finally, the MSDUK team is set to expand with the addition of 3 more individuals joining during Q1 to enable us deliver to our promise
As we start this New Year with great optimism, I would like to thank our board of directors, the MSDUK staff and our members. I am sure our new growth plan will provide all our stakeholders a uniquely integrated ecosystem to thrive in business. We want MSDUK to be your partner of choice! I am sure we will continue to receive your support.
On behalf of the MSDUK team, I would like to wish you all Merry Xmas and a very successful and productive 2018!
Founder & CEO, MSDUK